Traveling Tips

  • Tourists are permitted to enter Mexico with their personal belongings and other necessary items for their stay in the country. The General Office of Customs distributes brochures that describe the items that are free of taxes.


  • When entering Mexico, you must declare all electronic equipment valued at more than 50 dollars. You might have to present a receipt for proof of the item’s worth.


  • Possession, sale, transportation or carrying weapons without permission is considered a federal offense in Mexico.


  • Importing weapons for hunting sports requires an updated permit. For more information consult “Hunting” Section.
On the Road
  • Make sure to have a valid driver’s license and your vehicle’s registration.


  • Car insurance is not mandatory but it is highly recommended. There are many companies throughout the United States – Mexico border who sell insurance for cars in Mexico for a day, a week or a month. Keep in mind that the majority of American insurances do not offer coverage while driving in Mexico.


  • Keep in mind that the speed limits in Mexico are set in kilometers (1 mile = 1,6 km.) For example the speed limit on a freeway is 55 miles per hour and the speed limit inside the city averages 25 mies per hour.


  • While driving in Mexico you are expected to respect and obey traffic signals and not drink while driving.


  • It is a violation of traffic to utilize your cellphone while driving in the state of Baja California.


  • Always use your seatbelt.


  • Polarized windows are prohibited on all cars who circulate in the city, with the exception of polarized fabric.


  • Throughout the course of some roads and highways of Mexico you may come across some military control stations in which you may be asked to do a routine inspection. Please cooperate, be patient and before you know it you will be back on the road again.
  • Do not announce that you are a tourist . Keep maps, traveling brochures and objects of value in your trunk or glove box of your vehicle once you arrive at your destination. Take wallets, check books and hand bags with you.


  • Park in places that are well-lit and in populated areas.


  • Cada vez que usted pernocte en algún destino de un día para otro, saque bolsas y otros objetos de valor del coche y deposítelos dentro de su habitación.


  • If your vehicle is stolen, you should call immediately to our Tourist Assistance Line 078, there you will be indicated what to do so you can fill out a form with the Public Ministry Office. You will just have to show any document that accredits the property of the stolen vehicle. The deputy prosecutor will have a report and will open an investigation.



For more information, please dial the Tourist Assistance Line 078 available 24/7 from any celular device or conventional while you are in Baja California or you can call 066 for emergencies and they will put you in contact with the Secretary of Tourism of Baja California. (

What to do if you are involved in an accident?
  • Dial the number statewide of Emergency Response Line 066 (equivalent to 911 in the U.S.) from any public telephone or private, to notify authorities. Ask for police and an accident investigator be sent to the scene of the accident. If you have any questions please call the Tourist Assistance Line 078. 
  • Do not move the vehicles that are involved in the accident and wait for the accident investigator to arrive at the scene.


  • You should call your car insurance company for a representative to assist you.


  • Once the accident investigator has determined who was at fault, they will be directed to the closest commissary to discuss with the other person involved what course of action should be taken and come to a mutual agreement about payment method and reparations, this way avoiding the state tax office.


  • At the police station, if necessary, you have the right to ask for an attorney.


  • If anyone is hurt during the accident, no matter how little, the person responsible should present before the State Attorney’s Office.

You should investigate your medical insurance’s policy is applicable while traveling to a foreign country. Many travel agencies and private companies offer insurance plans that cover all medical costs in a foreign country, including emergency services, like medical evacuations.


In order to practice fishing on Mexican waters you must have an individual fishing license. You can easily obtain them at the Secretary of Tourism Offices that can be found conveniently situated in Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Felipe, San Quintin and Bay of Los Angeles or if you prefer you can visit the webpage:  where you can buy your license online using you credit or debit card.


The permits can be emitted for one day, a week, a month or a year. Boarding licenses are not necessary.


For practicing this sport in Mexico hunting permits are required and for carrying fire arms. Contact the Secretary of Tourism at: (011 52 686) 566 1277 (011 52 686) 566 1277
By e-mail at: or go to:

Responsible Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages

The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18 years of age.


  • You should always carry a valid identification while visiting bars or clubs.


  • It is illegal to drink on the streets and in your car.


  • Do not drink in excess, “Smart consumption” is always recommended when visiting bars or night clubs.
  • If you plan on staying late, make sure you are accompanied by someone.


  • When you go to a bar or a night club, always wake sure you are conscious of you you are being served and do not leave your drink unattended.


  • You can be vulnerable while visiting the local “red zone”, especially if you plan on leaving at late hours of the night or in the early hours of the morning.


Use common sense.

Automatic Transfer Machines (ATMs)
  • You will find ATMs in all important bank chains throughout the whole state.


  • ATMs in Mexico can be utilized with the majority of credit and debit cards emitted in the United States that operate the system Cirrus or Plus. Search for the logo on the posterior part of your card.


  • The ATMs regularly only handle Mexican coins (Pesos).


  • When you utilize an ATM you should make sure that nobody is watching you and please, contact police if you feel it is necessary.


  • Never give out your card information to anyone.

This social problem is common around urban areas in every important city in the world. Its presence should not impede that everyone enjoys Baja California. We recommend that you use a combination of prudence and respect of begging and other strangers. Contributing to begging will not help the problem. If you want to help you can donate to a charity, whether it be a mission, food bank or a social service agency that offers help to those in need.


With the goal of total satisfaction, follow these suggestions:

  • It is recommended that you not buy from street vendors.


  • When you purchase a product or hire a service, make sure it is exactly what you solicited in terms of quality and service.


  • You must always obtain a receipt as proof of your purchase.


  • Ask if prices are in Mexican coin or American coin.


  • Taxes on sales and services, known as V.A.T. (Value Added Tax), is 16% of the purchase.
The Federal Bureau of Consumer Interests

The Federal Bureau of Consumer Interests (PROFECO) promotes and protects the rights of the consumers. They can proportionate help with issues related to providing services like hotels, travel agencies, restaurants, transportation, etc.


If you wish to leave a complaint while your stay in Baja California, you can call PROFECO:


In Tijuana: (664) 684 8595
In Mexicali: (686) 557 3084 and 85
In Ensenada: (646) 178 8573


You can send an e-mail to:, to keep track and they will update you during the whole process.


If you wish to present a report about your place of residency, you can send an e-mail to the foreign traveler’s unit at: or calling the number for Mexico city at (011-52) 5552 111723 / (011-52) 5556 256700, make a copy to:

Articules you cannot bring back the the U.S.
  • Fruits and vegetable that are not on the list of “permitted”.


  • Pork meat (pig meat that has been conserved is allowed).


  • Chicken meat (cooked chicken meat is O.K.)


  • Cuban cigars.


  • More than 1 liter of alcoholic beverages for each person (21 years of age or more).


  • More than $10,000 dollars (without declaring the import to the United States Office of Customs and Border Protection).


For more information you can visit the site at:

For information or assistance, contact the Secretary of Tourism of Baja California

Vía de la juventud # 8800 2523, Zona Río
Telephone: (664) 973 0424 / 973-0430


1477 Lázaro Cárdenas Blvd. and Las Rocas St. Government center
Telephone: (646) 172 5444 fax 172-5372


1 Benito Juárez Blvd. & Francisco Montejano 2nd Floor.
Telephone: (686) 566 1277 / 566-1116


1305 Andador Libertad, Downtown
Telephone: (665) 654 4790 fax 654-1095


San Felipe
300 Mar de Cortés Av. & Manzanillo St.
Telephone: (686) 577 1865 fax 557-1155


Playas de Rosarito
Blvd. Benito Juárez #907 local 29
Centro Comercial “Oceana Plaza” Zona Centro
CP 22710 Playas de Rosarito, B.C.
Tel. (661) 612-5127.
Tel. / Fax. (661) 612-0200.


San Quintín
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 178.3
Col. Santa Fe
Telephone: (616) 165 3645

Information Centers



  • Crossing border of San Ysidro
    30 yards from San Ysidro International Borders
    Schedule: Mon-Thurs 8:00 a.m.-5:00p.m.,
    Fri & Sat. 8:00 a.m.- 7 p.m., Sunday 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
    Tel. (664) 683 1405


  • Avenida Revolución
    Ave. Revolución., Between the 3 & 4 of San
    Schedule: Mon-Thurs 10:00 a.m.-4: 00 pm,
    Fri-Sat. 10:00 a.m.-7: 00 p.m.
    Tel. (664) 685 2210



  • Comercial Oceana Plaza Local 14 Blvd.. Benito Juárez
    Schedule: from Mon-Fri 9:00 am-6: 00 pm, Saturday 10:00 am 1:00 pm
    Tel. (661) 612 0396



  • Lázaro Cárdenas & Teniente Azueta No. 540.
    Schedule: Lunes-Viernes 9:00 a.m.-7: 00 pm,
    Sat & Sun. 9:00 a.m.-5: 00 p.m.
    Tel. (646) 178 2411



  • Centro de Gobierno, San Felipe, B.C.
    Avenida Mar de Cortez y Manzanillo No. 300
    Schedule: Mon-Thurs 10:00 a.m.-4: 00 pm,
    Fri-Sat 10:00 a.m.-7: 00 p.m.
    Tel. (686) 577 2300



  • Blvd. López Mateos y Avenida Camelias s / n, Colonia Jabonera,
    Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m.-5: 00 p.m.
    Tel. (686) 557 3276



  • Calle Mariano Ma. López s / n, Los Algodones, B.C.
    Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m.-4: 00 p.m.
    Sat 9:00 a.m.-1: 00 p.m.
    Tel. (658) 517 7755
Tourist Information

Tourist Information


How to get here

How to get here


Marinas and boat services

Marinas and boat services





Pin It on Pinterest